SEARCH

Friday, April 16, 2021

Living or dead, at their most interesting

It's an old parlor game...players trade names regarding whom they'd most like to invite to an imaginary dinner party.  Living or dead?  That's usually the first question a player will ask the host.  Here's one person who'd automatically make my fantasy dinner invitation list....

2008 image, Wikipedia
NEIL PEART - the late percussionist and lyricist from the now retired, and under-recognized Canadian Rock band-----Rush.  I've watched and read every interview I've been able to find featuring this notoriously private musician, lyricist and author.  

Sadly, Mr. Peart succumbed to brain cancer and passed away on January 7th, 2020 at the age of 67.  This post is dedicated to his memory.

As a drummer of the Rock n' Roll genre; IMO, Mr. Peart has few peers....living or dead.  

I'd count most of those Rock drummers on one hand: Stuart Copeland (The Police), John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Phil Collins (early Genesis), Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience) and Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins).  If I had a sixth finger on that hand; I'd add Danny Carey (Tool) or perhaps Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers).  

However, even if he hadn't been what Rush bandmate Geddy Lee called "such a f***ing monster musician", Mr. Peart still would've made my dinner list because of the way he conducted himself and how profoundly and clearly, he expressed his views on topics through his lyrics, books and media interviews.  His self-discipline, keen observation and commitment to excellence inspire me.

He often struggled with fame and fan intrusiveness.  The Rush song called Limelight includes revealing Peart lyrics, 

"I have no heart to lie, I cannot pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend

and.... 

"Cast in this unlikely role, ill-equipped to act, with insufficient tact. One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact."  

www.pinterest.com/pin/496240452693684406/
He wrote seven books, all non-fiction works.  Some writings deal with personal themes like the healing process after the tragic death of his daughter Selena (car crash) and then within ten months -- the death of his first wife Jackie (Cancer).  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read (and this is a 5/18/2021 update to my original post) his 2002 narrative: Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road which I recommend.  

The book is a deeply personal and honest account of his own healing journey and battles with grief stemming from the aforementioned loss of his loved ones.  It's also a richly annotated travel tome from his 55,000-mile motorcycle trip across North America.  

I also recently finished reading his last book, Far and Wide: Bring That Horizon to Me! (2016) which I enjoyed even more than Ghost Rider.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ce/4d/a9/ce4da916ef89446bb1c15848131fcc14.jpg